Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Ice in Rome, or lack thereof

Everything you may want to know before a trip to Rome....

      Sure, it is fun to wing it and go on your own, but if you can pick up a bit of information before you go, your trip will be smoother.   I have many topics to explore having just come from my Rome trip and I hope you can glean a bit of knowledge before your trip.  So be sure to check out my other blogs for more information.

****************************************


With 8 full days in Rome, eating at minimum of two different places each day I feel I can say this with some authority.  Don't expect ice.

Or straws for that matter....of course, without ice, are straws even necessary?  I always use a straw when dining out in my normal daily life in the US.  I didn't really need them in Rome, because there is none of that annoying ice to get in your way while drinking.  

If you really like ice, you will be missing this when in Rome.  I didn't even see an ice machine in the hotel as are standard fare in the U.S. at all class of hotels/motels.

It isn't that Rome has no ice, as I did have it in a cocktail so I know it is possible to get it and I am sure if you really must have it, you can ask for it perhaps.  However, my philosophy when traveling is to experience things as locals, as much as possible,  which in this case means no ice. 

Our table after a typical meal in Rome. Wine and espresso along with water glasses (on right) with no ice.

In the United States, many times water comes to the table (with ice) before you have even ordered your drinks or dinner.  I am used to always getting water, even if I ordered a glass of wine.  This is very different in Rome, as they will sometimes ask you if you want water (mineral or fizzy, or gas or no gas) and there is always a charge. It is usually just a couple euros.  While I don't relish paying for water, as I am accustomed to getting it for free, I didn't mind it too much as the prices quoted for food is the price you pay and not added onto by taxes and tips.  If your pasta is 6 euros, that is what your check says (when you ask for it, and you will always have to ask).  If you have your own water bottle and take a table on the sidewalk at a café (which it is not really called a café there, but is what it reminds me of) for lunch you can drink from that bottle and nobody will say anything. 

While I've heard you can ask for tap water, to avoid the charge, I felt the unspoken nudge from waiters that made me a bit uncomfortable doing so.  So I didn't.  Bring your own and unless you're eating at a high end restaurant I don't feel like you'd feel uncomfortable at all drinking it.  Save your euros for some wine and espresso.   

No comments:

Post a Comment