Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Hailing a taxi in Rome


Everything you may want to know before a trip to Rome....

      Sure, it is fun to wing it and go on your own, but if you can pick up a bit of information before you go, your trip will be smoother.   I have many topics to explore having just come from my Rome trip and I hope you can glean a bit of knowledge before your trip.  So be sure to check out my other blogs for more information.

****************************************
Taxis.  For those of us who don't live in a city where their use is common they can be a bit intimidating.  I've managed to live my entire life and never hail a taxi, though oddly it was on my bucket list.  Such a trival thing I know, but it sort of fills you with power.  I picture myself hanging with SJP in NYC on Sex and the City and dressed oh so stylish and hailing my own taxi.

I always envisioned it being so much more fun than going to my garage and climbing in my SUV and heading to the local grocery store.  No, jumping in a taxi and asking them to take you to your hotel is so much...sexier.  I guess that is why that particular show comes to mind.

In the interest of full disclosure, it is not that I have not rode in a taxi.  I have, but I've never actually hailed one.

After a few days in Rome, and riding the Metro several times, it was time to step out of our comfort zone and take a taxi.  The Metro is great, and cheap, but it doesn't hit the center of the city and we were beginning to get a little tired of walking (though still one of my favorite things to do in Rome).  Getting the taxi was easy.  We went to our front desk at the hotel and asked if they could get us one.  They pushed a "magic button", we sat in the lobby and two minutes later, they told us our taxi was there.  Nice!  And easier than Las Vegas for sure where I have waiting in line for one.

I had read some pretty scary stories about Rome's taxi drivers.  Rudeness, taking the long way around to run up your fare, and short changing you (my friend gave 50 euros and taxi driver claimed it was 20 euros and refused to acknowledge the difference) were some of the complaints I had heard.  So I was a bit nervous.  My fears were completely unfounded.

I found the drivers pleasant, honest and the cars were so much better than taxis I've taken in the states.  One was a Mercedes.  It helped that by the time I was there a few days and took the taxi, I felt I knew my way around the main streets (that and studying the map for a few months before I left - which is great, but really helps once you get there and walk them), so I didn't feel we were taken for any extra rides.  Fares were decent and displayed and while not huge conversationalist, the drivers were pleasant and spoke a bit of English. 

Once out there and away from the hotel, I knew I would have to do that thing on my bucket list...raise my hand and hail a taxi.  We were leaving the Trevi Fountain and I rounded the corner, saw the taxi and did just that.  Climbing in, we gave the name of our hotel and for one euro more than the Metro, we were delivered to our hotel front door. 

I don't know why this was so fun to me.  I've been in taxis, but I've just never hailed one before and it just added to the ambiance of being in the city and I am so glad we decided to face our fears of Roman taxi's and go for it.  We took a few other Taxi rides during our trip, and found them equally pleasant.

So, don't be afraid of taxi's in Rome.  Be smart. If you hand them 50 euros (which we did), I made sure I announced it was a fifty.  If you've never been there before, the streets are crazy and nothing is square, so it may feel like your driver is going in circles, but likely is not. 

Trevi Fountain, where I hailed my first taxi

Some fine points:
  • There are signs everywhere saying "take only official taxis".  I am not sure I saw an unofficial taxi.
  • I also saw a sign stating that UBER is illegal in Rome and there is a huge fine for the passenger (not the driver)
  • Tipping - as in other areas of Rome it isn't like the U.S.  We tipped sometimes, and other times didn't due to currency we had on hand (cannot tip 5 euros on a 6 euro ride when that is the smallest denomination you have...however, in the US that would be expected).  Not a word or even a frown from the driver with no tip on that ride - how refreshing!
  • All the taxi's look similar style, but car makes are from Mercedes, to Fords and Nissan. I did see a few that looked larger for groups, but we had no need to use this so I cannot offer any advice on how to hail one of these.
  • The taxis were so much cleaner than what you usually find in the US.  In my state, my last taxi I took had cigarette butts and reeked of smoke so you have to hold your breath the whole ride.(though it is illegal to smoke in buildings, so that is mind boggling)
  • I have no idea if all hotels have that "magic button" to summons a taxi.  Hotels are rated for services by stars.  We stayed at a four star hotel.  Perhaps lower starred hotels do not have this service.


No comments:

Post a Comment